Need to Make Your Own Website? Here’s How to Get Started
Are you looking to start your own business? Maybe you have lots to say on a subject, and you’d like to start a blog. Creating a website does take some time and effort, but it is much simpler to do than you may think. Here’s how to get started.
- Choose a platform: There are numerous platforms that help you create stunning websites with drag-and-drop features. You don’t have to know coding or CSS to make an expertly-designed website anymore. When you search for which platform to create your website with, look for content management website builders. These are going to be the most user friendly for those who are limiting in coding or web design skills. Make sure that your website has templates that you are able to use and adjust to fit your needs. In these templates, you want to see that they are responsive, which means that they will automatically format to whatever they device they are viewing your site from. If it doesn’t say it’s responsive, then look for words like “mobile-friendly.” It’s imperative that your site be accessible from phones because of the way people research information today. Everything needs to be at your fingertips.
- Create content: Be specific with what the purpose of your website is. Is it informational? Is it a blog? Are you trying to sell something? Have a goal in mind, and direct people clearly to that goal. Explain your products and services, and make it unique. You want to be clear and concise, but you also want to have your personal flare on it. Something that can be difficult for those who are creating content for the first time, is knowing when to stop. You need to have more than a sentence describing who you are, but you also don’t want to be too detailed. Give them enough information that it pulls them in. Once they engage with you, then you can explain further if there are other questions. A good rule of thumb is to have four to five sentences in your About Me section. Have one to two sentences about services, and then let images do the rest of the talking.
- Have professional photos: We’ve all hear that a picture is worth 1000 words. That’s incredibly true–especially in today’s social media driven society. People want to see images that grab their attention and that clearly explain what they are looking at. You want high quality images with good graphics to showcase your website. When you cut corners in these areas, your product or service will look cheap, and it won’t be taken seriously by potential customers.
- Double check your work: Before you push things out to the world wide web for everyone to see, double check your work. Click all of the links, proofread for errors, and double check pricing. View your website from a desktop and from a mobile device to make sure it looks right on both.
- Make it live: If everything is how you would like it, then publish it to make it a live address. To help people find you easier, connect a custom url to it, such as myawesomewebsite.com. You can share this page on social media to help drive traffic to your beautiful new site.
Unfortunately, websites do not act like the Field of Dreams–just because you build it, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will come! Websites aren’t magically found and immediately seen by tons of people. It takes time and effort until you start to see some organic traffic generated. Yes, it’s work, but it’s fun work. A website will give you a professional edge as you grow your business.