How to Find Your Work-Life Balance
Do you find yourself pulled in different directions? Specifically, between work and life outside your office walls?
Instead of putting in extra hours at your job, would you rather spend more hours with your family, friends, or just some much needed “me” time?
Do you find it challenging to find a positive work-life balance?
First, what exactly is work-life balance? In the simplest terms, it’s equally prioritizing between one’s work and personal life.
Sounds easy, right? Well, it can be a struggle.
Have you counted the number of hours you spend at home versus those at work? You may find you spend more time at home, but did you take into account sleeping? Or how much of your time is actually ‘quality time’?
In addition to staying at work longer, do you bring it home? Do you:
- Check work emails
- Take business calls
- Constantly think about work
Why do you find yourself working from home? Increased expectations by your employer? Being always available through technology? It may be time to assess what is necessary to do at home and what can be left until the next day – because there are consequences to a negative work-life balance.
What are some consequences of poor work-life balance?
- Increased stress
- Poor health
- Less time with friends and loved ones
- Forgetting who you are
But the question you need to ask yourself is, “How do I get a good work-life balance?”
- You don’t have to do everything – Depending on your personality type, this can be a difficult hurdle to overcome, but start small and work from.
- Delegate – chores, errands, making meals
- Leave work at work – don’t feel guilty
- Learn to say ‘no’ – again, don’t feel guilty
- Do a different chore each day, instead of all of them on one day
- Establish a healthy lifestyle – A healthy lifestyle helps you physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- Have an excellent support system – surround yourself with positive people
- Eat a healthy diet
- Move your body
- Sleep – A good night’s rest helps both at work and at home
- Enjoy some “me time” EVERY day
- Find something to do, every day, that makes you happy
- Be mindful
- Set boundaries
- Unplug from time to time
- Spend time in nature
- Take a vacation – you deserve it
- Seek professional help
- Create to-do lists – Love them or hate them, a to-do list can help you focus and improve your work-life balance by helping you separate the two.
- Be efficient
- Plan your tasks
- Do the most important one first
- Break them into smaller pieces
- Avoid procrastination
- Delegate – again
- Communicate effectively
- Make sure everyone is aware of your expectations at work and home (this includes the kids – especially if they are responsible for household chores)
- Good time management skills – Do you have difficulty juggling your schedule?
- Use calendars
- One for home
- One for work
- Use calendars
- Be efficient
- Take breaks – let your mind and body have a little pick me up
- Set goals and prioritize
- Don’t overcommit – either at work or at home
Being an adult is just plain stressful. You have different parts of your life to manage, and it can seem overwhelming. Remember, taking care of yourself is the number one important thing to do for a happy and successful life. And when you do this it will help to keep work and home life in balance.